POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Micha Riser
Date: 24 Jul 2002 12:07:55
Message: <3d3ed0da@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote:

> Careful what you call a bug.  You seem to be concerned that POV-Ray does
> something unrealistic when you present it with a situation that cannot
> exist
> in reality.  Why is this a problem?

I called it a bug because ior has been moved from finish to interior
because ior has to be constant in the whole object to prevent that a ray
enters at one ior and leaves at a different one. But when two object of
different ior are merged / intersected exactly the same thing happens.

I see now that overlaping of transparent object in union cannot be checked
at parsing time and checking it during rendering would things slow down.
But in the case of merge/intersection a warning at parsing time could be
issued.

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection